The Cyprus Biological Society (CBS) establishes the CBS Award “Kyriakos Georgiou” for Doctoral Students of Biology. The Award is addressed to Cypriot students (with the identity of the Republic of Cyprus) of Biology at the Doctoral level who study in the Departments of Biology of Cyprus, Greece and Universities abroad. The CBS Award for Doctoral Students of Biology “Kyriakos Georgiou” is awarded every year to the Cypriot Doctorate Biology student with the best PhD Thesis.
Professor Kyriakos Georgiou, Biologist, is a Member of the Cyprus Biological Society (CBS). He worked as a Professor of Botany at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens and today holds the title of Emeritus Professor. He was the President of the Biology Department of EKPA. He has a rich educational, writing and research work. With his university and research activities, he contributed greatly to the promotion of Biology in his particular homeland Cyprus and especially to the protection of nature and the environment of Cyprus with many research and development programs of European and national funding.
The Terms, the Criteria for participation, the Applications and the closing dates will be announced by the Cyprus Biological Society (CBS) in due course.
Terms and Conditions of participation
1. The candidate must be a recent Doctoral graduate from the Department of Biology of Cyprus, Greece or abroad providing a Doctoral (PhD) degree.
2. The candidate must have an identity card of the Republic of Cyprus.
3. Year of completion and / or publication of the doctoral dissertation should be only the previous year of the date of announcement of the awards. That is, for the announcement of 2021, dissertations of 2020 are accepted. The year of completion and / or publication of the doctoral dissertation should
appear on the cover or inside of the doctoral dissertation.
4. The degree of the postgraduate thesis should be at least 9/10 or 18/20 or 4.5 /5. A certificate of the doctoral dissertation score must be submitted together with the application form.
5. The doctoral dissertation and all relevant forms must have been submitted within the pre-defined limits and before the Final Date.
6. Candidates can automatically apply to register as Prospective members of the Biological Society of Cyprus (CBS) before the deadline for submitting the application.
7. Nominees must be present in person (or in exceptional cases their representative) and receive the award at the Official Award Ceremony to be organised by the Biological Society of Cyprus (CBS).
8. The Biological Society of Cyprus (CBS) reserves the right to display and present all the doctoral dissertations submitted (after the Official Award Ceremony) as well as photos and videos of the nominees and attendees at the Official Award Ceremony, at its website, and on Social Media.
9. Participation automatically means acceptance of the Terms and Conditions.
10. In case doctoral dissertations with grades as described in point 4 are not submitted, doctoral dissertations with grades of at least: 8.5 /10 or 17/20 or 4.25 /5 will also be evaluated. For this reason, dissertations with these grades are encouraged to be submitted within the time limits so that they are available for evaluation.
1. The scientific perfection of the postgraduate thesis (grades 1-5)
2. The quality and scientificity of writing, organising and presenting the thesis (grades 1-5)
3. The number and quality of scientific publications / presentations in scientific conferences that may have arisen as a result of the postgraduate thesis (grades 1-5)
4. Originality and Innovation of the postgraduate thesis (grades 1-5)
Submission Procedures and Forms
1. Application form of the doctoral dissertation (To be submitted in pdf format. The file to be named as follows: 1. Application_Candidate surname_One job keyword_Year of publication / writing_PhD.pdf).
2. Doctoral dissertation with name (to be submitted in pdf format. The file to
be named as follows: 1. Application_Candidate surname_One job keyword_Year of publication / writing_PhD.pdf).
3. Doctoral dissertation without name without distinguishing the name of the candidate and author of the thesis such as name, surname, author, contact details, etc. (To be submitted in pdf format. The file should be named as follows: /writing_PhD.pdf)
4. Description of Doctoral Thesis describing the thesis (doctoral dissertation) of the CBS Award for Doctoral Students of Biology. (To be submitted in pdf format. The file to be nameded as follows: 4. Description_Candidate surname_One job keyword_ Year of publication / writing_PhD.pdf)
5. Official Grade of the doctoral dissertation (To be submitted in pdf format. The file should be named as follows: 5. Grade_Candidate surname_One keyword of work_Year of publication / writing_PhD.pdf)
6. Any other supporting material deemed necessary such as publications / presentations at a scientific conference. (To be submitted in
pdf format. The file (s) should be named as follows: 6. Supportive1_Candidate Surname_One Job Keyword_Publication / Writing Year_PhD.pdf, 7. Supportive2_Candidinal Surname_One Job Keyword_Publication / Writing Year_PhD.pdf etc).
Closing date for submissions for 2020
October 20 2021
For further information regarding CBS Awards